Fact: I have blogged about white eyeliner in THIS POST from 2008 (yep, 2008) and again last week but it was just a few days ago that I re-read the January issue of Allure only to see, what? WHITE EYELINER at the KENZO Spring Summer 2014 show at PARIS FASHION WEEK. Apparently I was way ahead of the curve (right where I like it) and predicted not only the future, but the fashionable future. I digress. Maybe it’s time to try white eyeliner again? What do you guys think?
I’ve already raved about the Wet ‘N Wild version, but here are a few other alternatives to get the white eyeliner look:
I’ve blogged before about white eyeliner but I only recently tried my hand (no pun intended) at WHITE NAIL POLISH, inspired by my favorite TIC TAC flavor, Freshmints. At first glance, I kinda felt like I had applied white out on my nails, circa high school when you were bored in class, but after a few minutes I decided that I liked my white nails, especially after adding a little sparkle to my ring finger.
I’ll be honest when I say that I was certainly NOT a beauty expert back when I was in high school; in fact, I didn’t even care. I would read Seventeen, YM, Teen, Teen People, etc. and completely skip over the beauty section to go right to fashion. I mean…wow how things change, and with that said, even though I wasn’t particularly passionate about beauty, I DID have my go-to products. Putting this post together was truly a hilarious experience and I giggled at the site of these products, ALL of which I would still TOTALLY use. Just saying…
1. Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner: The brand has since re-done the packaging (this is the old version) but I’m still in love with the scent, and when they say that you associate smell with memory, they are NOT lying. I had a flash memory of being late to home room the last time I used this shampoo…it was both scary and awesome at the same time.
2. Wet ‘n Wild White Eyeliner: I don’t know why on earth I ever though white eyeliner, SOLO WHITE EYELINER AND NOTHING ELSE, was ever an ok look, but I did. If memory serves, I thought the white line would make my eyes look bigger but in reality, guys just wondered why I had white lines drawn on my top eyelid. Ahhh, the teen years…
3. Bath & Body Works Pearberry Body Splash: The scent of Pearberry was my jam in high school; of course, everyone had their favorite scent, but there was something about the Pearberry scent that I just LOVED, and still do.
4. Bonne Bell Lip Smackers: It’s still a classic but it was definitely an obsession for everyone in high school and I distinctly remember having a cupcake-flavored version that made all the girls jealous.
5. Hard Candy Nail Polish: Back in the day Hard Candy was a high-end nail polish and retailed for $18 a bottle which, for a high school student, was big bucks. I had a few select shades, one of which was called “mermaid” and was teal green. #memories.
6. Avon Odyssey Perfume: My mom bought me this perfume at a friend’s Avon party and I don’t know why I asked for it but I distinctly remember LOVING the scent.
Here’s a weird fact: I really only started wearing makeup toward the end of college. Ok, with the exception that I did, occasionally wear the super classy white eyeliner on my eyelids during high school. Oh yeah, I did that. So sure…now that I actually DO have to wear makeup, my routine is usually under five minutes…mostly because I’m lazy and always running late. In this video, I show you my not-so-secret under five minute routine (FOUR minutes, to be exact!) that will give you the bare minimum as far as coverage, and not looking like a beast.
So I had a total deja vu moment when I saw images from the Spring 2009 Lanvin show today. White eyeliner is makin’ a comeback! I used to rock the white lines back in high school -in fact, I only lined the top eyelid, which is definitely not as cool as this updated version. Annnyway, if you want to try out my old staple, check out the Wet ‘n Wild version…but be warned, I just remembered when one of the hottest guys in my class said “ok, I’ll bite…what’s with the white lines on your eyes?” Be warned -I am NOT reccommending my OLD version…this new version is definitely the way to go.