It’s all about the hand details…
Search Honestly Jamie
It’s all about the hand details…
I’ve blogged before about white eyeliner but I only recently tried my hand (no pun intended) at WHITE NAIL POLISH, inspired by my favorite TIC TAC flavor, Freshmints. At first glance, I kinda felt like I had applied white out on my nails, circa high school when you were bored in class, but after a few minutes I decided that I liked my white nails, especially after adding a little sparkle to my ring finger.
Coconut oil…it’s the new thing in cooking AND in beauty. Beauty Guru Michelle Phan rounded up some fun ways that you can use actual coconut oil for some DIY beauty products (e.g. as a makeup remover, body scrub, etc.), but if you’re lazy like me, you just want to buy beauty products that already have coconut oil IN them. Thank you very much. So what are the benefits? Well, the oil is extracted from the meat of the coconut and it just so happens to be jam packed with vitamin E and good-for-you fatty acids that work together to help your skin and hair in a myriad of ways. Case and point being coconut oil is a great antioxidant AND anti-fungal/bacterial. Done deal. Here are a few of my favorites:
Nails have never been my thing, gotta be honest…but recently, I got to exploring the tools that you actually need to get a good mani. There are like 5,000 tools on the market but, in reality, you only need these babies:
1. A Good Nail File: This is easier said than done. Find a good nail file that not only looks cute, but also actually FILES your nails properly.
2. Cleansing Soap: I’m sooo not a fan of bar soap, but nail artists all say that bar soap does a better job of cleansing hands than anything else. So, if I HAVE to use it, it may as well be CHANEL.
3. Tweezerman’s Pushy and Nail Cleaner: Stop using your other fingers to push back your cuticles! This tool will do it for you, and better.
4. Cotton Pads: I’m totally guilty of using cotton balls and they’re just NOT as good since they shed everywhere and stick to your nails. These pads are the business.
5. Base Coat: The Sally Hansen version serves as a base coat AND a top coat (two for one!). I recently found out the importance of using a base coat (e.g. use one so your nails don’t turn yellow).
6. Polish: Et voila. Top off your mani with your favorite nail polish of the moment. Right now, I’m loving all things Deborah Lippmann.
For someone who lives in Los Angeles, I really do NOT spend enough time in the ocean, and yeah, I’m hoping that will change this summer. In the meantime, here are some awesome ocean-inspired beauty products that I adore.
Deborah Lippmann “Mermaid’s Dream” nail polish: I’m pretty much obsessed with this color and plan on wearing it all summer. I’m a sucker for anything mermaid-related. Fact.
Aqualillies for Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Eye and Cheek Palette: I love anything Tarte but this palette definitely takes the cake. It’s a great combo of neutral eye colors, mixed with brights for your cheeks.
SachaJuan Ocean Mist: Summer in a BOTTLE. That’s really all that I have to say.
AHAVA Dead Sea Salt Bath Salt: I still have dreams that one day I might be able to swim in the Dead Sea (thanks for nothing, Birthright! lol) But right now, I’m happy settling for this bath salt product, straight for the ocean I want to swim in.
Kiehl’s Cryste Marine Ultra Riche Lifting and Firming Cream: My oh my, Kiehl’s…clearly I was excited to try this because, get this, the cryste marine flower grows on rock formations aside the Mediterranean Sea and is known for its unique ability to boost cell renewal for a supple skin effect.
Bumble & Bumble Seaweed Shampoo: I love the look and feel of this mild, moisturizing, daily shampoo that has marine extracts that feed roots, adds shine and keeps scalps happy.
Tone Ocean Therapy Deep Sea Extracts & Pearl Extracts Body Wash: This is literally the ocean, only cleaner and more fun to wash with. It’s got pearl extract, sea kelp and vitamin E, all great for the skin…mermaids everywhere are totally jealous.