The Super Bowl. Yes…I bet you never thought that you’d read about such an event on THIS blog, right? Well there comes a time when you (and I) have to accept that the Super Bowl is an event that you can’t avoid, especially if you have a boyfriend, husband or even a ton of guy friends. Here’s my cheat sheet to surviving the most boring day of the year:
1. Learn which teams are playing. You don’t need to know details, just learn their names, colors and what city/state they’re from. This year, it’s the San Francisco (California!) 49ers versus the Baltimore (Maryland) Ravens. San Fran is red and gold and the Ravens are a purplish blue and black. Check.
2. Find a good cocktail that you can drink for the whole game.Belvedere Vodka created a delicious concoction called “The Big Easy,” obviously named after New Orleans (where the SB is taking place) and I’m way into it.
1.5 oz. Belvedere Citrus
3/4 oz. Canton ginger liqueur
1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
Apple cider top
Shake and strain citrus, lemon juice and Canton into a highball filled with cubed ice
Garnish with a lemon slice
3. Accessorize with “your” team’s colors. Now, I don’t have a team, per se, but since I live in California, I feel the need to support the 49ers. And luckily for me, I have a TON of red and gold but if you don’t, try just throwing on some gold bracelets and earrings. Easy.
4. Find some (somewhat) healthy food to eat. Aside from Halloween, I can’t really think of another day where you might possibly eat more junk food. Not that I don’t LOVE fried wings and nachos, but ya know…we gotta keep it in CHECK. Here a few great, healthy recipes that I found on various sites:
Halloween cocktails are always so fun and creative. I just tried out this delish vodka martini and, as if you didn’t already need a reason to drink, (BELVEDERE)RED(i.e. the vodka to use) donates 50% of the profits of sale benefit HIV/AIDS programs in Africa. Here’s how to create the cocktail at home:
12.5ml Honey water
Dash lemon juice
Fresh sage leaves
25ml pressed apple juice
Dash of Sauvignon Blanc white wine
Muddle green grapes with honey water
Add rest of ingredients, shake and fine strain into a chilled martini glass
It’s National Vodka Day! Who knew? And since I’m a total vodka and tequila girl, here’s my favorite Moscow Mule recipe, using Russian Standard Vodka. The full-bodied wheat flavor of the vodka compliments the sweet and spicy ginger beer and allows the citrus from the lime to really shine and, of course, it’s best served in a copper mug. Enjoy
2 oz. Russian Standard Vodka
4 oz. of ginger beer
1 lime wedge
– Build cocktail and ice over
– Add Rusian Standard Vodka
– Squeeze a wedge of lime and top with ginger beer
As much as you probably hate to admit it, the Kardashian empire is totally fascinating. Admit it. Kim has managed to, as Kanye puts it via song, become a “superstar from a home movie” so yeah, I’ll go and watch her host a beauty event for charity. On Tuesday, Kim Kardashian hosted the Midori Makeover Parlour at the chic Fred Segal Salon in Santa Monica. Dressed in a plunging green velvet Gucci dress and gold Tom Ford stilettos, Kim spent the evening hanging out with her mom, Kris, and mingling with partygoers. Guests received custom couture manicures inspired by Midori cocktails, including the Midori & Ginger Glitterbomb, and hair styling while enjoying Midori cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
It’s a sweet, sweet life for those Kardashians…but what’s Kim’s best beauty secret? Taking care of herself. She is “always excercising, washing off her makeup before bed, etc.” the reality star said. She even woke up early on the day of the event to squeeze in a workout with her trainer, Gunner Peterson, before leaving again this morning to head to Philly.