With winter in full swing, cocktails might be the furthest thing from your mind, especially if you happen to catch a cold. But staying in when it’s cold outside won’t seem nearly as bad when you get cozy with a HOT TODDY to warm you up. This drink is said to help clear congestion and help you sleep…and, it has the added benefits of being simple to make and tasty. I keep this one in my arsenal to make instead of chicken soup for when my friends are sick.
- 1 ½ oz brandy, whiskey, or rum
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ½ a lemon
- 1 tea bag, optional
- Coat the bottom of a regular mug or Irish coffee glass with the honey
- Add your liquor of choice and the juice of your lemon
- Meanwhile, heat water. Pour the hot water over the teabag, if using, into your mug or glass
- Let the tea steep according to the type you’re using, and remove the tea bag (I like to stir to make sure all the honey is dissolved. Enjoy!)
You can use plain hot water if you prefer it that way, but I think the beauty of this drink is the endless options for experimentation. Try a cinnamon tea and throw in a with a cinnamon stick in there for good measure. Or use a chai blend, and you won’t need to add any spices at all. Use a sweeter herbal tea and you might omit the honey. I’d say to avoid anything caffeinated, because this warm drink makes a perfect nightcap – but I’ve seen people use green tea for the antioxidants and enjoy it just as much.
– Jo Walker, Intern