SkinCeuticals Resveratrol B E. Get to know it. You’ve probably read about this latest (and greatist) antioxidant breakthrough in skincare, and I’m here to tell you why it’s a must-have. Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant found in grapes, red wine, nuts, and other plant sources, and has gained a reputation as the “longevity molecule” because of the role it has been found to play in determining longevity and health span. Researchers believe that resveratrol can positively influence the processes that cause age-related deterioration and functional decline. So what does all that mean? SkinCeuticals worked for YEARS to find the right balance for this unstable ingredient since it’s proven to be basic gold for your skin.
Gel moisturizers. Ahhh, yes. I know it’s getting cooler outside, but I just can’t get enough of the cool feeling on my face. Putting gel moisturizer on after a hot shower is THE BEST, and here are my favorites:
1. Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel Cream: This version is wallet-friendly, yet still really hydrating and soothing.
2. SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel: This gel is enriched with vitamin B5, which is known to help with tissue repair. I love that it also contains hyalruonic acid (the body’s natural hydrator).
3. Koh Gen Do Moisture Spa Gel: I haven’t tried many products from this line, but anything I have tried has been awesome. This gel, formulated with mineral-rich hot spring water and botanicals, there’s also emollient capsules that instantly melt into the skin. Yes, please.
4. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream: Kiehl’s is my world, obviously. This oil-free version helps to reduce excess oil on the skin’s surface and also re-balances the skin’s barrier for a smoother appearance.
5. Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief Gel Creme: This lightweight, oil-free formula gives an instant boost of moisture that lasts for 24 hours. It immediately cools and refreshes the skin, leaving it feeling softer, smoother.
6. Boscia Revitalizing Black Hydration Gel: This black gel (yes, it is really black) contains a range of powerful ingredients. Artichoke leaf extract improves elasticity to help tighten pore walls. Charcoal absorbs excess oil and impurities as it detoxifies. Glycolic acid helps clarify skin and smooth rough texture. Vitamin C helps brighten skintone and minimize fine lines as it defends from free radical damage. It’s basically a jar full of goodness.
Best physical–SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: Physical sunblock is one of the best options for sun protection and I really love this version from SkinCeuticals. With SPF 50 and a little color-infused technology, the water-resistant block uses titanium and zinc oxide to protect you. It’s good stuff, trust me.
Best for the beach–Neutrogena Beach Defense Sunscreen Spray SPF 70: I feel like so many of my friends hate putting on sunscreen once we’re already at the beach, so this is the PERFECT option for those picky few. The spray form prevents sticky sand hands and the technology provides salt and water-resistant sun protection that’s also broad-spectrum.
Best for hydration–L’OREAL Sublime Sun Sheer Protect Sunscreen Oil Spray SPF 50+: At first glance, I thought this was tanning oil, the most insane product in existence. But at second glance, I realized that L’OREAL had the foresight to create a sunscreen oil (e.g. NOT for tanning), which is actually quite genius. You get all of the benefits of oil (the moisture, vitamins, etc.) but are also protected with SPF 50. If only this existed when I was in high school…Also, for every Sublime Sun product sold in the U.S. (through the end of this year), L’OREAL will donate $1 to the Melanoma Research Alliance (MRA) for the L’OREAL Paris-MRA Team Science Award. Over the next three years, they will donate over $750K to the MRA.
Best for touch-ups–Clinique Broad Spectrum SPF 45 Sunscreen Targeted Protection Stick: It’s always good to keep a little SPF stick like this in your purse, for those “ooops, I forgot” times. A stick like this is perfect for those tiny spots that are hard to cover like your ears, nose, cheek bones, etc.
Best for the face–Kiehl’s Powerful Wrinkle Reducing Cream SPF 30: So this isn’t the traditional sunscreen, per say, but going with the fact that you should be wearing SPF every day (especially on your face), I really recommend this version from Kiehl’s. It’s a powerful, skin fortifying anti-wrinkle cream that goes on nicely and doesn’t feel greasy.
Best high end–Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF 50+: I’ve blogged about Shiseido sunscreen a few times before. While a little pricey, yes, this is hands-down the most luxurious sunscreen that I’ve ever used. I hoard it.
Best natural–Yes to Cucumbers Natural Sunscreen SPF 30: Perfect for anyone who likes to do the natural skin care thing (OR has sensitive skin). This mineral-based formula provides SPF and also contains soothing ingredients like aloe and cooling cucumber…plus you can use it on your face and body and won’t have any breakouts.