Because trolls were a BIG part of my childhood (and yes, I DID buy troll props for these photos)…
When I started thinking about my birthday this year, I originally didn’t want to do anything. I mean, last year I turned 30 which is really the last epic birthday that I ever imagined for myself, as weird as that sounds; but I know myself well enough to know that I would definitely be sad if I didn’t celebrate in some way. And then, in true form, my “simple” and “small” party turned into a theme party, at Riviera 31, with about 35 people…I’m a simple woman, with simple needs (said no one about me EVER).
I just CAN NOT do anything small, which is why I decided to dress up as one of my high school idols…CHER HOROWITZ from CLUELESS. I found the perfect red dress, a white feather boa, and even found a 90s style flip phone (WITH AN ANTENNA) on Ebay for $8. I also created 90s style photo props, like “The Rachel” below, so my friends and I could take photos with even more 90s nostalgia.
I should also mention that I created an excel doc with 20 examples (with links) of 90s icons that so that my friends would have NO excuse not to dress up. Examples included “FRIENDS,” “Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter’s Dead,” “Clarissa Explains It All,” etc. Yeah, I’m not type A at ALL. Putting my crazy aside, I was SUPER impressed with what everyone came up with; in fact, people went beyond my list and really impressed me with their creativity. We had a few Kelly Kapowskis, a few Courtney Loves, Blossom, TWO AL Borelands from “Home Improvement (I MEAN!)…my friends are amazing. I had a ton of fun, but I think the best part of the party was that I actually got to witness how many amazing people I have in my life, who actually care about me enough to put on a ridiculous outfit and go to a fancy hotel on a Saturday night. A big thank you to Riviera 31 at The Sofitel and, of course, my friends…who, like I said, laugh at me on a daily basis but also truly accept and love me for who I am, crazy theme party thrower and all.
My red dress
I’ll be honest when I say that I was certainly NOT a beauty expert back when I was in high school; in fact, I didn’t even care. I would read Seventeen, YM, Teen, Teen People, etc. and completely skip over the beauty section to go right to fashion. I mean…wow how things change, and with that said, even though I wasn’t particularly passionate about beauty, I DID have my go-to products. Putting this post together was truly a hilarious experience and I giggled at the site of these products, ALL of which I would still TOTALLY use. Just saying…
1. Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner: The brand has since re-done the packaging (this is the old version) but I’m still in love with the scent, and when they say that you associate smell with memory, they are NOT lying. I had a flash memory of being late to home room the last time I used this shampoo…it was both scary and awesome at the same time.
2. Wet ‘n Wild White Eyeliner: I don’t know why on earth I ever though white eyeliner, SOLO WHITE EYELINER AND NOTHING ELSE, was ever an ok look, but I did. If memory serves, I thought the white line would make my eyes look bigger but in reality, guys just wondered why I had white lines drawn on my top eyelid. Ahhh, the teen years…
3. Bath & Body Works Pearberry Body Splash: The scent of Pearberry was my jam in high school; of course, everyone had their favorite scent, but there was something about the Pearberry scent that I just LOVED, and still do.
4. Bonne Bell Lip Smackers: It’s still a classic but it was definitely an obsession for everyone in high school and I distinctly remember having a cupcake-flavored version that made all the girls jealous.
5. Hard Candy Nail Polish: Back in the day Hard Candy was a high-end nail polish and retailed for $18 a bottle which, for a high school student, was big bucks. I had a few select shades, one of which was called “mermaid” and was teal green. #memories.
6. Avon Odyssey Perfume: My mom bought me this perfume at a friend’s Avon party and I don’t know why I asked for it but I distinctly remember LOVING the scent.
A look back at Debbie Harry’s beauty and style – BeautyBanter
An oldie but a goody, I’m constantly referring back to this article on 101 seasonal salads – NYTimes
I really admire a woman who goes pants-less to brunch – TheManRepeller
Wedge sneakers. They NEED to stop. STOP – InStyle
90s beauty! I’m in love with this – BuzzFeed
An amazing hostess DIY: a tiered mirror cupcake stand – GlitterNGlue