Because May is skin cancer awareness month AND these three sunscreens are perfect for travel…
Every May I get on my soap box (usually it’s a L’Occitane soap box, just FYI) and preach about the importance of wearing sunscreen EVERY DAY, and not just when you’re at the beach. I don’t wanna make this too complicated but here’s the rundown:
- Wear SPF ANY TIME you go outside (seriously, even if you’re just gonna be in the car)
- Anyone of any race can get skin cancer (yep, that means you)
- You’ve gotta re-apply every 2-3 hours (a shot glass full every time)
- If your skin gets darker after a day (or a week) in the sun, that means you got sun damage and you didn’t use your sunscreen properly (either you didn’t apply enough SPF or you didn’t re-apply properly). It’s amazing that some of my smartest friends don’t understand this concept.
SCARY (BUT TRUE) FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Approximately 9,940 Americans will die this year from skin cancer
- One person dies of melanoma every 57 minutes
- A person’s risk for melanoma doubles if he or she has had more than five sunburns
So what does that mean for you? It means just BE AWARE. Check your skin for any shapeshifting moles and “freckles” that look different than they used to, have changed shape, feel weird, etc.
Lastly, Megan O’Neill wrote a really great piece about her experience as a black woman having a premalignant (aka pre-cancer) mole in the May issue of Lucky that I think everyone should read.
And now, onto three sunscreens I LOVE and why you will love them, too:
Obviously I’m a long-time AVEENO fan and I’ve especially always love their sunscreens. The AVEENO Protect + Hydrate SPF 70 Lotion is awesome because it’s not greasy, it’s water-resistant and it uses the brand’s patented Active Naturals oat that’s fab for your skin.
The L’Oréal Paris Invisible Protect Clear Cool Lotion SPF 50 is my latest fave. It’s clear, which is very unique AND it has an instant cooling effect that helps reduce skin temperature on contact by 4°F.
Also, if you follow me on Instagram, you saw THIS POST. Donate 15 social seconds to help raise money for melanoma research by telling your followers why it is worth it to you to protect your skin and apply SPF. For every social share with #ItsTHATWorthIt, L’Oréal Paris will donate $1 to Melanoma Research Alliance, up to $250,000 in 2015. DO IT.
For anyone who prefers a spray SPF, the AVENE Ultra-Light Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion for Body SPF 50 is a great choice. It’s fast-absorbing, water resistant, alcohol and fragrance-free and, of course, great even for sensitive skin.
SHOP THE POST